Greedy Bilateral Sketch, Completion & Smoothing

Publisher:
JMLR.org
Publication Type:
Conference Proceeding
Citation:
Proceedings of the Sixteenth International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics, 2013, pp. 650 - 658
Issue Date:
2013-01
Full metadata record
Files in This Item:
Filename Description Size
Thumbnail2013003255OK.pdf1.04 MB
Adobe PDF
Recovering a large low-rank matrix from highly corrupted, incomplete or sparse outlier overwhelmed observations is the crux of various intriguing statistical problems. We explore the power of "greedy bilateral (GreB)" paradigm in reducing both time and sample complexities for solving these problems. GreB models a low-rank variable as a bilateral factorization, and updates the left and right factors in a mutually adaptive and greedy incremental manner. We detail how to model and solve low-rank approximation, matrix completion and robust PCA in GreBs paradigm. On their MATLAB implementations, approximating a noisy 10000x10000 matrix of rank 500 with SVD accuracy takes 6s; MovieLens10M matrix of size 69878x10677 can be completed in 10s from 30% of 107 ratings with RMSE 0.86 on the rest 70%; the low-rank background and sparse moving outliers in a 120x160 video of 500 frames are accurately separated in 1s. This brings 30 to 100 times acceleration in solving these popular statistical problems
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: